Wednesday 6 February 2008

Oh deer I'm in trouble

Well since writing last, Wendy and I have had a bit of an adventure and I'm in trouble.

The other morning we were doing our normal walk and I was off the lead and running a bit ahead having a good sniff around (as us dogs do). Imagine my suprise when I went around the corner and ran smack into a small deer. The deer was as suprised as me and rather than running just sat down. Wendy came around the corner and thought the deer was maybe injured but that thought went out of her mind when it saw her and took off.

Of course I thought that was part of the game so ran after it. Through the barbed wire fence, down the hill, across the cow field, through some brambles. Several times the deer stopped seemingly exhausted and I just led down next to it. Then we'd be off again - me barking at the top of my voice. Now I didn't want to hurt the deer - I just wanted it to play with me and my favourite game happens to be chase.

Meanwhile Wendy's trying to track me down. She's calling and whistling and can hear me barking but I won't come back (sorry Wendy but you just aren't as interesting). So Wendy gets on her tummy and crawls under the barbed wire fence - makes her way through the brambles and catches up with us almost in Swineford - both sitting on the grass. As Wendy draws closer the deer runs off again and I go too. At this point Wendy gives up. She had to go to work and figured I'd come home when I was hungry.

Rather than go back through the brambles and barbed wire she thought she'd make her way onto the main footpath. All she needed to do was make her way through a muddy gateway the cows often congregate in and then she'd almost be there. So in went one foot (in a welly boot), then a second step, then a third.....oh no Wendy couldn't make a third step because her foot and welly was completely stuck in the mud. So she tried to move the other foot - same problem. She tried using both her hands to tug her foot and boot out of the mud but still no luck. Eventually she had to resort to taking her foot out of one welly, putting her socked foot in the mud and pulling out the stuck welly. With one foot on slightly firmer ground she managed to get the other foot out. Not wanted to put the muddy sock inside the welly she removed her sock and put her bare foot in the welly. It was at about this point that I showed up to help (Wendy stuck in the mud became more interesting than the deer).

So we headed home having given up on the idea of trying to get to the path we had to go back through brambles and barbed wire fencing. Wendy's wellies (a bit big anyway) were rubbing the back of her heel. We eventually arrived home much later than normal and Wendy had to rush to get ready for work. She literally looked like she'd been pulled through a hedge backwards. Bits of twig in her hair, mud on her feet, hands and face, bleeding legs from the brambles and a bleeding heel from the wellington boot. All her clothes had to go straight in the wash and she was not best pleased with me.

Still - I'd had a great run which I don't normally get in the morning and slept the rest of the morning away dreaming about what a good time I had.

No comments: